I saw this project on Pinterest and knew that I had to try it. Refashioning, turning some piece of clothing into another, is really popular right now and I’ve been wanting to try it out for myself for a while. Unfortunately I’m lacking in the sewing skills department so forgive me! Anyway, here is the step by step process!
1. Find a skirt. It should be a floor length skirt to allow enough length to be a dress. I chose a skirt made from Rayon, but other fabrics would be fine! Also make sure that it has enough room to fit your body in it.
2. Cut the top hem/elastic/whatever off. Try to do it as evenly as possible.
3. The original project tells you to measure 10 inches down the side seams to create a 9 inch arm hole. I found that arm holes this size were way too big and I had to make them smaller in the end. So I would say measure down 7 inches or so.
4. Cut the seams down the sides however many inches down you measured. I couldn’t find a seam ripper so I used scissors and it was fine.
5. Sew up the arm hole seams.
6. You want to make a tunnel for the ribbon to go through. Fold down the top hem 1/2 inch and pin it. Then fold it down another 1/2 inch and repin it, taking out the original pins as you go. Do this for the front and back of the dress. Then sew it up!
7. Attach a safety pin to a ribbon and inch worm it through the tunnel. How you want your final ribbon straps to end up is up to you. Originally I had them become bows on the shoulders but I didn’t like the way that looks so I just sewed them together and put the hemmed parts inside the tunnel so that you couldn’t see them.
TADA! that’s it! I put a ribbon around the waist to avoid the potato sack look. What do you guys think?